Planning is a course specifically designed to improve skills and knowledge in resolving challenges on a wide range of aspects such as designing, engineering, environment and everything about the urban human settlements which is mandatory in this increasingly convoluted world. A good planner understands the various intricacies of ultimate planning techniques. In a nutshell, the main focus of the program is on the issues which are related to a strategic plan and decision making.
In India, the career prospects for a Planner are good mainly because they play a critical role in shaping the environment and have a significant impact on the factors that influence in our day to day lives.
The average salary of a Planner normally starts from 3 lakhs to 5.5 lakhs rupees per annum during their initial few years of work. However, with a solid experience, one can expect to earn above 5.5 lakhs rupees per annum in India.
The scope of a Planner:
Though a degree in this field is a relatively newer field and is a lucrative career in the short run, there is still scope and huge demand for a skilled professional with planning expertise in India. One can get into the government sector after completion of their studies as Urban and Town planner or take up transportation projects. In the private sector, one can get indulged in realty development firms or construction, architecture or interior design firms. Both the government and private sectors have opportunities for the people who are really skilled in the profession, especially due to the critical role they are planning in shaping the environment.
- Environmental manager
- Landscape architect
- Planning and development surveyor
- Sustainability consultant
- Civil Service administrator
- Community development worker
- Town Planner
- Transport Planner
- Housing Manager or Officer
- Conservation Officer or Historic Buildings Inspector
- Urban Planner
For Bachelor’s Program:
Students who successfully completed their 10th and 12th grade with mathematics and having at least 50% aggregate marks in all subjects from any recognized board of education are eligible to apply.
For Master’s Program:
Candidates who possess a bachelor’s or equivalent degree in Planning or Architecture with at least 55% marks in aggregate from any recognized universities are eligible to apply.
- JEE Main
- National Aptitude Test in Architecture (NATA)
- Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test (TANCET)
- Lovely Professional University National Entrance and Scholarship Test (LPU-NEST)
Courses offered in this field:
Diploma Programs in:
- Urban Planning and Development
Bachelor’s Programs in:
- Urban Design
Master’s Programs in:
- Urban Design and Planning
- Environmental Planning
- Architectural Conservation and Restoration
- Transport Planning
- Landscape Architecture
Top colleges or universities which offer Planning courses:
- Indian Institute Of Technology, Kharagpur
- School Of Planning & Architecture, New Delhi
- Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar
- Birla Institute Of Technology, Ranchi
- Maulana Azad National Institute Of Technology, Bhopal