The Study in Odiya Literature is a non-technical course, focusing on the History, linguistics, and philosophy of the Odiya language. Odiya is a classical Indo-Aryan language that is spoken mostly in eastern India by 4.2% of India’s population, with around 40 million native speakers globally.
Students pursuing a career in this course typically study components like Fiction, Poetry, Literary Criticism, Drama, Literary History etc. like any other language-based course.
The scope of Studying Odiya Literature:
There is a wide verity of career opportunities for graduates in this field, for example by getting a decent knowledge of the literature, one can become a translator, teacher or a freelancer as well. The colleges and institutes basically look for professionals in this field for imparting a program in this language. Option for taking private tuitions is also accessible. There is a different kind of jobs available for interpreters, likewise a general interpreter, consecutive interpreter etc.
- Content developer
- language trainer
- Private Tutors
- Personnel Manager
- Political Scientist
For Postgraduate Diploma:
- Bachelor’s degree from a Recognised University.
For Bachelor Courses:
- Students can apply for bachelor courses after passing 12th in any stream from a recognized educational Board with a minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) and,
- Basic proficiency in Odiya.
For Master Courses:
- To apply for PG courses, candidates should have completed a bachelor degree in any discipline with a minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) from a recognized University and,
- Proficiency in Odiya.
For Doctorate Courses:
- Qualifying MA or M.Phil. degree with an aggregate of 60% marks (55% marks for SC/ST candidates).
For a Bachelor’s degree, most of the institutes give admission on merit basis. However, for postgraduate admission, the process may vary from college to college. Many conduct entrance exams and many may give direct admission.
Courses Offered in Odiya Literature:
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Odiya Literature (2-years course)
- B.A. (Odiya Literature) (3-years course)
- M.A. (Odiya Literature) (2-years course)
- M.Phil. (Odiya Literature) (1-2 years course)
- Ph.D. (Odiya Literature) (3-years course)
- Ranchi University, Ranchi.
- Balanga University, Orissa.
- Choudwar College, Orissa.
- Cuttack College, Orissa.