Linguistics is a field which deals with the study of how language works. In brief, it is the scientific study of a language, which also involves the study of its morphology, syntax, phonetics, and semantics. Linguists are those people who examine and determine the human speech and language by carefully observing and studying the interaction with both sound and meaning. It is an extremely diverse field.
It is an excellent career option for research-minded students and is of a great value for aspirants who are in the pursuit of careers in education, media, publishing, communication, social services, voice analysis research and other niche fields.
In India, the average salary of a linguist starts from 4 lakh rupees per annum. However, with experience, one can expect to earn more.
Careers related to linguistics have rich potential, especially in India, but are under-explored. India, being a multilingual and multicultural country and home to speakers of more than 200 languages, the place offers a rich test bed for testing theories and models of language structure and its use. There are excellent career opportunities for a linguist in India, in academia as well as industry, post completion of their studies.
- Technical Writer
- Broadcaster or News Reader
- Proposal Writer
- Communication Disorders Specialist
- Public Relations Officer
- Language Specialist
For Bachelor’s Program:
Students who successfully completed their 10th and 12th grade in any stream with at least 50% aggregate marks in all subjects from any recognized board of education are eligible to apply.
For Master’s Program:
Graduates with at least 50% marks in aggregate in arts or science stream from any recognized universities are eligible to apply.
- Banaras Hindu University Post Graduate Entrance Test (BHU PET)
- Delhi University Entrance Exam
- Osmania University Common Entrance Test (OUCET)
Courses offered in this field:
Diploma Programs in:
- Translation (Advanced Diploma)
Bachelor’s Program in:
Master’s Programs in:
- Applied Linguistics
- Linguistics and Endangered Languages
- Linguistics and Language Technology
Top colleges offering Courses in Linguistics :
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
- University of Calcutta, Kolkata
- Bharathiar University, Coimbatore
- Osmania University, Hyderabad