Women’s studies is an academic field that draws on feminist and interdisciplinary methods in order to place women’s lives and experiences at the center of study, while examining social and cultural constructs of gender; systems of privilege, oppression, the relationships between power and gender as they intersect with other identities, social locations such as race, sexual orientation, socio-economic class, and disability.
Popular theories within the field of women’s studies include feminist theory, standpoint theory, intersectionality, multiculturalism, transnational feminism, social justice, affect studies, agency, bio politics, materialisms and embodiment. Research practices and methodologies associated with women’s studies include ethnography, auto ethnography, focus groups, surveys, community-based research, discourse analysis and reading practices associated with critical theory, post-structuralism, and queer theory. The field researches and critiques societal norms of gender, race, class, sexuality, and other social inequalities.
Women’s studies is closely related to the fields of gender studies, feminist studies and sexuality studies and more broadly related to the fields of cultural studies, ethnic studies, and African-American studies. Women’s studies courses are offered in over seven hundred institutions in the United States, and globally in more than forty countries.
SCOPE OF WOMEN STUDIES
• Women studies takes an important space in the field of gender studies. In the past few centuries we have seen a rise in the freedom of women and feminism. This has helped to reshape the identity of a woman in the society.
- Earlier, in a close-knitted society of patriarchy, women rarely had rights and any opportunities.
- As times changed, women took up to themselves to make sure that they and others had the same opportunities that men enjoyed.
There has been an expansion in terms of literature which deals with women studies. In India, Jyoti Bai Phule who started the first school for girls in Pune and Ismat Chugtai being charged for writing about women and their private lives and in the west with Suffragettes movement, Gloria Steinem, Maya Angelou and her famous poem like ‘Still I Rise’ and ‘Phenomenal Woman’ are the notable woman studies work examples.
- Chief Nursing Officer
- Health Administrator
- PR Officer
- Health Care Provider
- Chief Operating Officer
- Healthcare Management Executive
- Technical Engineer
- Teaching professional
- Diploma Course- Students can apply for this after completion of 10+2 from any recognized boards.
- Bachelor Course – Students can apply for this after completing the 10+2 with recognized boards.
- Master Course – To apply for the PG course candidates must have their bachelor degree from any college and university.
COURSES OFFERED IN THIS FIELD
- B.A.(Bachelor of Arts)
- B.ED(Bachelor of Education)
- Master of Arts
- Master of Bachelor of Arts
- PG Diploma
COLLEGES WHICH OFFER THE WOMEN STUDY COURSES