An endocrinologist is a physician who specializes in the management of hormone conditions.
A doctor who specializes in treating patients with endocrine problems, including thyroid diseases.
Endocrinology is the study of the medical aspects of hormones, including diseases and conditions like
- Hormonal imbalance,
- Damage to the glands that make hormones,
- The use of synthetic or natural hormonal drugs.
Besides restoring the balance and treatment, it helps the patients to cope with the physical limitations of diseases like diabetes and hypothyroidism.
- Type 1 Diabetes.
- Type 2 Diabetes.
- Thyroid Cancer.
- Addison’s Disease.
- Cushing’s Syndrome.
- Graves’ Disease.
- Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis.
As an endocrinologist, you will learn about Pituitary disorders, Thyroid disorders, Disorders of mineral metabolism, hormonal disorders causing infertility, impotence, abnormal growth and diseases such as diabetes, thyroid cancer, and osteoporosis.
Qualification to become an Endocrinologist in India is a 5½ years MBBS degree followed by 2 years MD (Endocrinology) Course.
How to become an Endocrinologist?
Students who aspire are required to,
10+2 exams (with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as main subjects).
The students have to take Entrance Exams Conducted by respective institutes separately:
MBBS degree course from selected medical college and one year and six months compulsory training by the aspiring candidates.
MBBS doctors have to appear in Post Graduate Medical Entrance Tests like-
- NEET PG
- AIPGMEE (All India Post Graduate Medical Entrance Examination)
- JIPMER ( Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research)
Some institutes also provide admission on the basis of marks obtained in MBBS course and work experience of the aspiring candidates.
Admission in M.D (Endocrinology) according to the information provided in step 4.
2 years of D.M (Endocrinology).
Top colleges for Endocrinology Course:
- Christian Medical College, Vellore.
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi.
- King Edward Memorial Hospital and Seth Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College -Department of Endocrinology, Mumbai.
- Topiwala National (TN) Medical College and BYL Nair Charitable Hospital: Department of Endocrinology, Mumbai.