Agricultural Engineering is an amalgamation of more than one discipline such as animal and plant sciences, geology, environmental science, core Engineering branches, modern agricultural technology etc. It is an offbeat branch but in an Agrarian country like India, it has huge scope. It involves the study of scientific principles and techniques used in solving problems relating to sustainable agricultural production and processing. In simple words, an Agricultural Engineer’s integrate technology with farming.
It is a specialized branch which offers huge career prospects ranging from working as specialists in private consultancies to large corporations, government and non-government organizations and even NGOs.
With people understanding the importance of farming, the demand for agricultural engineers is expected to increase exponentially. In India, the average salary for a qualified engineer is around 2.5- 4.5 Lakh Rupees per year.
- Agricultural Engineer
- Plant Physiologist
- Agricultural Inspector
- Environmental Controls Engineer
- Farm Shop Manager
- Agricultural Specialist
- Food Supervisor
- Agricultural Crop Engineer
For Diploma’s Degree:
Students can apply after completing 10th from a recognized board. Duration of this course is 1 to 3 year depending upon the institute and university students are applying to.
For Bachelor’s Degree:
Students can apply for Bachelor’s Degree after passing 12th with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology or Maths with 40% – 50% passing marks from a recognized board. The duration of the course is 4 years.
For Master’s Degree:
Master’s degree aspirants need to have a bachelor’s degree in the same field, and also need to qualify certain exams to be eligible for admission to Master’s program. The duration of this course is 2 year.
Each college has their own method of selecting students. Some may take admissions directly depending upon the students merit and some may do it through entrance tests like:
Courses Offered in this field:
Diploma Courses in:
- Food Technology
- Modern Horticulture and Landscaping
- Dairy & Food Quality Assurance, etc.
- B.Tech Agricultural Engineering.
- B.Tech Food Engineering.
- B.Sc in Agro-Chemical and Pest Control.
- M.Tech Agricultural Engineering.
- M.Tech Agricultural Process and Food Engineering.
- MSc in Agricultural Biotechnology.
Top colleges offering Agricultural Engineering:
Colleges for Diploma Courses:
Colleges for Bachelor’s or Master’s Courses:
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi
- Ch. Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University Hisar, Haryana
- Chaudhary Sarwan Kumar Himachal Pradesh Krishi Vishwavidyalaya, Palampur, Himachal Pradesh
- Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences And Technology, Srinagar
- Punjab Agricultural University Ludhiana – Punjab